The Young Scientist Forum (YSF) roadshow at ITS is a collaboration between the Australian National University (ANU) Project of Indonesia and Department of Marine Transportation Engineering ITS. The reason behind this event takes place is many young Indonesian scientists are studying and conducting research at world-class institutions around the world, proving that Indonesian scientists are academically competitive to engage in scientific research of international caliber. In 2015, in collaboration with Indonesian Student Association in America (PPIA), the ANU Indonesia Project initiate the Young Scientist Forum (YSF) with the aim of
bringing resent PhD graduates working in research and academia to universities in Indonesia to:
- share their experience, including challenges working in the international environment, and
- share their current research and innovations, and how they contribute to advancing knowledge.
It is hoped that the YSF will inspire students and young academics to consider research as a career path, and to undertake innovative and new research topics.
In this year, YSF held in several universities in Indonesia, namely University of Indonesia, Hassanudin University and Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember. The YSF activities in ITS were held on November 2nd, 2017 at the BG Munaf Hall. ANU Indonesia Project is represented by Mrs. Lydia Napitupulu, while from Department of Marine Transportation Engineering is represented by Dr.-Ing Setyo Nugroho. The following speakers and research topics presented in YSF are:
- Wahyu Bambang Widayatno, PhD (Research Center for Physics, LIPI)
- “Porous materials for catalytic biomass conversion”
- Satrio Wicaksono, PhD (World Resources Institute)
- “From Lakes to Forests: A Small Research Contribution for a Resilient and Sustainable Environment in Indonesia”
- Dhimas Widhi Handani, ST., M.Sc. (Marine Engineering Department)
- “Automatic Identification System (AIS) for Increasing Safety of Ship Traffic and Offshore Facilities in Indonesia”